Eleven deaf-blind actors from Israel’s ground-breaking Nalaga’at Theater Ensemble take audiences on a tour through their inner worlds of darkness and silence. As the cast bakes bread in real time on a fully-lit stage, they tell stories through sign, movement, and spoken word that express their own magical dreams and desires. While the bread is rising in the oven, the audience gains unique access to a magical world where the senses are challenged like never before. This insightful, sensitive, once-in-a-lifetime theatrical experience comes to ArtsEmerson from rave reviews and sold-out runs in London, New York, and the company’s home city of Tel Aviv.
Assistive Listening and Audio Description services are available for advance reservation. Please call the Box Office (617-824-8400) if you or anyone in your party will require either of these services. Additionally, large print and braille programs will be available for patrons to pick up directly prior to each performance. English subtitles are part of the performance and listening devices are available for people who are hard of hearing. For patrons who are blind, all performances are Audio Described and Braille program books are available upon request. For patrons who are deaf/blind, seat accommodations are made for their interpreter.
“ONE OF THE MOST REMARKABLE , MOST HUMBLING AND MOST PROFOUNDLY AFFECTING THEATRICAL EXPERIENCES YOU WILL EVER HAVE.” —THE MAIL ON SUNDAY
ABOUT NALAGA’AT THEATER DEAF-BLIND ACTING ENSEMBLE
The Tel Aviv-based Nalaga’at Deaf-Blind Acting Ensemble is the only troupe of its kind in the world. Founded by Artistic Director Adina Tal, Nalaga’at aims to integrate deaf-blind people into the community while allowing them an opportunity to express themselves through a performance. The company’s first completed success Light is Heard in Zig-Zag is followed up by the groundbreaking must-see hit, Not by Bread Alone.
- Location: Emerson/Paramount Center Mainstage
- Created by: Nalaga’at Theater Deaf-Blind Acting Ensemble
- Conceived and Directed b: Adina Tal
- Production Sponsor: Claudia and Kevin Bright
- Series: Pioneer, Family
- Ages: 10+
- Running Time: 90 minutes with no intermission
- Language: Performed in Hebrew with English supertitles
- Not by Bread Alone performances include a section where the audience is invited to partake in the eating of bread. To best serve our patrons with food allergies, here is a list of the ingredients: Sugar, Yeast, Flour, Olive Oil, Canola Oil, Grape Leaves, Pomegranate Juice, Paprika, Coriander, Salt