South Africa’s award-winning Isango Ensemble gloriously bursts on the scene with The Magic Flute, Mozart’s classic opera, completely reimagined, transformed and transported. The enchanting story tells of a man's quest to rescue his wrongly captured love and the trials they must endure to be together. With a score transposed for wondrous musical instruments including oil drums and marimbas, this energetic ensemble composed of artists from the townships around Cape Town has traveled all over the world bringing an old story new joy and delight.
"Leaves you with a rare sense of life-enhancing joy"—Sunday Times UK
ABOUT THE ARTISTS
Isango Ensemble is a South African theatre company that draws its artists mainly from the townships surrounding Cape Town. Isango’s stage productions and films have played to sold-out audiences across the world and have received numerous international awards. Isango’s productions reimagine classics from the Western theatre canon, finding a new context for the stories within a South African or township setting, thereby creating inventive work relevant to the heritage of the nation. Isango intends to further develop this process by building a truly mixed audience, reflecting and uniting a diverse South African nation.
- Location: Emerson/Cutler Majestic Theatre
- Created by: Isango Ensemble
- Adapted and directed by: Mark Dornford-May
- Music Arranged by: Pauline Malefane and Mandisi Dyantyis
- Presented by: Eric Abraham & ArtsEmerson
- With Special thanks to: South African Airways-Africa's Most Awarded Airline
- Series: Pioneer, Family
- Ages: All ages
- Running Time: 90 minutes with no intermission